Ned Yost Says He Came Close To Dying After Last Week’s Fall

John Sleezer, the Kansas City Star

Last Wednesday, multiple sources reported that Kansas City Royals manager Ned Yost broke his pelvis after falling off a tree stand.

Turns out it could’ve been much worse.

As’s Jeffrey Flanagan reported Wednesday, Yost was unable to remember which of his body parts hit the ground first after falling nearly 20 feet outside his home near Atlanta.

“It could have been my feet or it could have been my pelvis,” Yost said to Flanagan via phone.

The 62-year-old Yost was attempting to secure a tree stand on his property, when the bottom of the stand fell out, causing it and Yost to fall.

Hunting is known to be one of Yost’s biggest hobbies.

Yost was unable to move following the fall to Earth, so he called his wife Deb, who was on her way out of town to attend a wedding shower. After receiving the news, Deb turned around, called 911, while Yost lay in pain for 20 minutes before a life-flight helicopter attended to him.

As the Royals’ skipper explains, him having his cell phone on him made all the difference:

“There’s no doubt I would have bled out if I didn’t have my cellphone with me. There was nobody that was coming. Nobody would have found me. I would have been dead by nightfall.”

Yost recalls first arriving for his life-saving treatment:

“Once I got to the hospital, they got me on the table, and all of a sudden I felt a shot- the doctor had drilled a hole through my leg and through my bone and inserted a rod into it. Then he put two 10-pound weights on each side of the rod for traction. Then they picked me up and put me in these compression pants- it was so painful, I can’t even tell you.”

Yost was released from Grady Memorial Hospital on Sunday, and the road to recovery will definitely take time. As Flanagan reports, he mostly sits in an easy-chair; and when heĀ does have to move, the pain is excruciating, even when on medication.

What’s most important though, is that Yost is alive.

“I didn’t realize I was in that much danger. I knew my whole right side was mush. But the trauma surgeon came in a couple of days later and he said, ‘Man, Ned, I was really, really scared about you. We’ve seen these things before — this is a 25-30 percent mortality rate. You were crashing on the table. We couldn’t get the bleeding stopped. I thought we were going to lose you,” recalled Yost.

Next year marks the final one on Yost’s contract with Kansas City. Hopefully he has a swift recovery, and is ready to be with the Royals when baseball activity resumes in February.