Connect with us

American League

Ned Yost Says He Came Close To Dying After Last Week’s Fall

Published

on

Last Wednesday, multiple sources reported that Kansas City Royals manager Ned Yost broke his pelvis after falling off a tree stand.

Turns out it could’ve been much worse.

As MLB.com’s Jeffrey Flanagan reported Wednesday, Yost was unable to remember which of his body parts hit the ground first after falling nearly 20 feet outside his home near Atlanta.

“It could have been my feet or it could have been my pelvis,” Yost said to Flanagan via phone.

The 62-year-old Yost was attempting to secure a tree stand on his property, when the bottom of the stand fell out, causing it and Yost to fall.

Hunting is known to be one of Yost’s biggest hobbies.

Yost was unable to move following the fall to Earth, so he called his wife Deb, who was on her way out of town to attend a wedding shower. After receiving the news, Deb turned around, called 911, while Yost lay in pain for 20 minutes before a life-flight helicopter attended to him.

As the Royals’ skipper explains, him having his cell phone on him made all the difference:

“There’s no doubt I would have bled out if I didn’t have my cellphone with me. There was nobody that was coming. Nobody would have found me. I would have been dead by nightfall.”

Yost recalls first arriving for his life-saving treatment:

“Once I got to the hospital, they got me on the table, and all of a sudden I felt a shot- the doctor had drilled a hole through my leg and through my bone and inserted a rod into it. Then he put two 10-pound weights on each side of the rod for traction. Then they picked me up and put me in these compression pants- it was so painful, I can’t even tell you.”

Yost was released from Grady Memorial Hospital on Sunday, and the road to recovery will definitely take time. As Flanagan reports, he mostly sits in an easy-chair; and when he does have to move, the pain is excruciating, even when on medication.

What’s most important though, is that Yost is alive.

“I didn’t realize I was in that much danger. I knew my whole right side was mush. But the trauma surgeon came in a couple of days later and he said, ‘Man, Ned, I was really, really scared about you. We’ve seen these things before — this is a 25-30 percent mortality rate. You were crashing on the table. We couldn’t get the bleeding stopped. I thought we were going to lose you,” recalled Yost.

Next year marks the final one on Yost’s contract with Kansas City. Hopefully he has a swift recovery, and is ready to be with the Royals when baseball activity resumes in February.

American League

Indians Activate Francisco Lindor, DFA Hanley Ramirez

Published

on

The Cleveland Indians have activated star shortstop Francisco Lindor from the injured list on Saturday.

In a corresponding move, the Indians have designated veteran Hanley Ramirez for assignment to create the necessary roster spot for the return of Lindor.

Ramirez, 35, appeared in 16 games this season for Cleveland, posting a slash line of .184/.298/.327 with two home runs.

Continue Reading

American League

Red Sox Place Nathan Eovaldi On 10-Day IL

Published

on

The Boston Red Sox have placed starting pitcher Nathan Eovaldi on the 10-day injured list due to a loose body in his elbow, according to MassLive.com’s Crhsi Cotillo.

In a corresponding move, left hander Bobby Poyner will take Eovaldi’s spot on the roster and the move is retroactive to April 18th.

The struggling Red Sox will have to move forward without Eovaldi, who missed around 2 months last season following arthroscopic surgery to remove a loose body, for the time being.

Eovaldi has started 4 games for Boston this season, going 0-0 and posting a 6.00 ERA in that span.

Continue Reading

American League

Red Sox Call Up Top Prospect Chavis

Published

on

Top Red Sox prospect Michael Chavis was recalled for the first time on Friday.

With two infielders being placed on the DL and desperate for any kind of spark they can get, the Boston Red Sox called up their top prospect Michael Chavis (MLB no. 75) from Triple-A Pawtucket on Friday.

Dustin Pedroia and Eduardo Nunez were both placed on the disabled list this week with knee and back injuries, respectively. And with super utility man Brock Holt out as well with an eye injury, Boston’s infield has become quite depleted in a hurry. Infielder Tzu-Wei Lin was recalled as well as the stumbling Red Sox open up a three game set in Tampa with a Good Friday matchup.

Boston hasn’t yet announced if Chavis will be in the lineup tonight, but the team is evidently hoping that the presence of the 23-year-old can provide some kind of a spark. Boston has struggled considerably so far in the young season and is coming off consecutive embarrassing losses to arch-rival New York. At 6-13, the defending World Series champs are dead last in the AL East.

Chavis, on the other hand, has risen through Boston’s minor league system quickly despite a setback last season. A PED suspension cost him half of 2018 after he was busted for Turinabol, an anabolic-androgenic steroid. He denied knowingly taking any banned substance but played well enough after his return to be promoted from Double-A to Triple-A.

Can Chavis provide a boost for the struggling Sox and help them shake off their World Series hangover?

Continue Reading

Trending