Connect with us

Boston Red Sox

Red Sox File Petition To Rename Yawkey Way Back To Jersey Street

Published

on

The Boston Red Sox have filed a petition with the city of Boston to change Yawkey Way back to its original name, Jersey Street.

Several outlets first reported the news on Wednesday.

Tom Yawkey, the sole owner of the Red Sox for 44 years before his death in 1976, was highly criticized of being a racist for his reluctance to employ African American players. The Red Sox were the final Major League team to field a black player, which came in 1959, a full 12 years after Jackie Robinson broke the game’s color barrier for the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Red Sox principal owner John Henry expressed interest this past August (in the wake of the Charlottesville protests) in ditching the “Yawkey Way” name, which has been the name of the street since 1977 following Yawkey’s death, saying he’s “still haunted” by his predecessor’s legacy.

“The Red Sox don’t control the naming or renaming of streets,” said Henry. “But for me, personally, the street name has always been a consistent reminder that it is our job to ensure the Red Sox are not just multi-cultural, but stand for as many of the right things in our community as we can — particularly in our African-American community and in the Dominican community that has embraced us so fully. The Red Sox Foundation and other organizations the Sox created such as Home Base have accomplished a lot over the last 15 years, but I am still haunted by what went on here a long time before we arrived.”

The Red Sox released a statement regarding their effort to establish a new level of inclusion outside Fenway Park:

In today’s politically-charged atmosphere, this comes as no surprise. The name Yawkey Way was swept under the rug for years. No one seemed to ever bat an eye, myself included. But like I said- this is the world we’re living in nowadays. If this gives the Red Sox some peace of mind, then all the power to them, I’m not going to complain.

American League

Red Sox Place Nathan Eovaldi On 10-Day IL

Published

on

The Boston Red Sox have placed starting pitcher Nathan Eovaldi on the 10-day injured list due to a loose body in his elbow, according to MassLive.com’s Crhsi Cotillo.

In a corresponding move, left hander Bobby Poyner will take Eovaldi’s spot on the roster and the move is retroactive to April 18th.

The struggling Red Sox will have to move forward without Eovaldi, who missed around 2 months last season following arthroscopic surgery to remove a loose body, for the time being.

Eovaldi has started 4 games for Boston this season, going 0-0 and posting a 6.00 ERA in that span.

Continue Reading

American League

Red Sox Call Up Top Prospect Chavis

Published

on

Top Red Sox prospect Michael Chavis was recalled for the first time on Friday.

With two infielders being placed on the DL and desperate for any kind of spark they can get, the Boston Red Sox called up their top prospect Michael Chavis (MLB no. 75) from Triple-A Pawtucket on Friday.

Dustin Pedroia and Eduardo Nunez were both placed on the disabled list this week with knee and back injuries, respectively. And with super utility man Brock Holt out as well with an eye injury, Boston’s infield has become quite depleted in a hurry. Infielder Tzu-Wei Lin was recalled as well as the stumbling Red Sox open up a three game set in Tampa with a Good Friday matchup.

Boston hasn’t yet announced if Chavis will be in the lineup tonight, but the team is evidently hoping that the presence of the 23-year-old can provide some kind of a spark. Boston has struggled considerably so far in the young season and is coming off consecutive embarrassing losses to arch-rival New York. At 6-13, the defending World Series champs are dead last in the AL East.

Chavis, on the other hand, has risen through Boston’s minor league system quickly despite a setback last season. A PED suspension cost him half of 2018 after he was busted for Turinabol, an anabolic-androgenic steroid. He denied knowingly taking any banned substance but played well enough after his return to be promoted from Double-A to Triple-A.

Can Chavis provide a boost for the struggling Sox and help them shake off their World Series hangover?

Continue Reading

American League

Red Sox Designate Blake Swihart, Bring Back Sandy Leon

Published

on

The Boston Red Sox are bringing back catcher Sandy Leon.

Boston has designated catcher Blake Swihart for assignment, according to WEEI.com’s Evan Drellich.

According to MLB Network insider Jon Heyman, catcher Sandy Leon will be heading back to the Red Sox roster.

Continue Reading

Trending