On Tuesday evening, KRIS-TV released exclusive video footage of ex-baseball prospect Danry Vasquez physically striking his ex-girlfriend, Fabiana Perez, four times in a stairwell. By Wednesday, it made national headlines.
The incident occurred on August 2, 2016 at Whataburger Field when Vasquez was a member of the Corpus Christi Hooks, a minor league affilliate of the Houston Astros.
Vasquez, then 22, is seen entering a stairwell with Perez, then 20. He hits her twice before physically dragging her down the first set of stairs; the assault continues with two more strikes to the face.
Here’s the graphic footage:
THIS IS HARD TO WATCH… Newly-released surveillance video shows former Houston Astros prospect Danry Vasquez striking his girlfriend three times. *WARNING – GRAPHIC VIDEO* https://t.co/nltXIEcUZk pic.twitter.com/uFgdp9piNN
— FOX 32 News (@fox32news) March 15, 2018
Following the video going public, Vasquez was released by the Lancaster Barnstormers of the Independent Atlantic League.
“There is no choice but to sever the relationship,” said Barnstormers manager Ross Peeples. “Neither I, nor the Barnstormers organization as a whole, can condone or associate with that behavior.”
Vasquez was blasted on Twitter by Astros ace Justin Verlander:
🖕🏻 you man. I hope the rest of your life without baseball is horrible. You deserve all that is coming your way! https://t.co/e8nJ8urUAJ
— Justin Verlander (@JustinVerlander) March 15, 2018
According to several reports, the charges against Vasquez were dismissed earlier this month after he completed required anger management courses.
Perez, now 21, reportedly regretted not pressing charges against Vasquez, now 24, who she ended the relationship with a few months after the incident.
“May God forgive him,” said Perez. “He knows what he did. He wronged me, and at the time I forgave him, but if I had the knowledge I have now, I would have made a different decision.”
Vasquez spoke with El Emergente, and stated that he is a changed man today.
“This incident happened almost two years ago,” said Vasquez. “I’ve truly changed. I’m engaging in activities that have helped me change. I’ve matured as a person and I know what I did, or at least what was seen, which shouldn’t be seen as an example or anything that can be amended.
“I also realize that scenes from this incident were powerful. As a public figure, I should be setting a better example. Today, I ask for forgiveness and want to show that this will not happen again. I understand there will be more backlash and I’m leaving everything in God’s hands.”
Following this incident, it’s hard to picture Vasquez ever coming back to have a productive baseball career. Verlander said it best with his tweet, and teammate Lance McCullers Jr. said it best with this one:
The issue here is no one cared as much until a video was leaked & now everyone is outraged!? This is the reality of domestic violence. It’s always brutal, always sickening. We must fight for the victims, video or not. He should be in jail. If you need help, find it. People care. https://t.co/1ZhHnJlX3o
— Lance McCullers Jr. (@LMcCullers43) March 15, 2018
What Vasquez did was definitely a jailable offense. Not once, not twice, but four times did he strike that woman- they weren’t small strikes either. So McCullers is 100% right, the crime is worthy of time, and Vasquez should feel lucky he didn’t have to go through any of that.
To wrap it up, hopefully this video sets a stricter precedent for punishment when it comes to brutal domestic violence incidents such as this one. This was a full-out assault and shouldn’t be tolerated without stricter consequences. Anger management classes are nice, sure; but in a case like this, they don’t do enough justice.
April 2019’s Biggest MLB Stories
Holy smokes, the first season of the 2019 MLB season is already in the books, and stories were abundant in this one. From certain players tearing it up and others struggling to records being broken, April 2019 was certainly eventful in the baseball world. Here are the biggest stories, happenings and surprises from the first month of the 2019 campaign.
Albert the Great
At 39, Albert Pujols might not be the revered slugger that he was in his prime, but the Anaheim Angel is still getting it done and joined elite company in April. His two-run double off of Kansas City’s Homer Bailey on April 28 gave him career RBIs no. 1,996 and 1,997, putting him ahead of Barry Bonds and in sole possession of no. 3 on the all-time list. Only Alex Rodriguez (2,086) and Hank Aaron (2,297) remain ahead of him. Though it’s unlikely that he’ll ever catch the latter, Pujols could pass A-Rod with a healthy and productive 2019 and 2020.
C&C on a tear
Outfielders Cody Bellinger of the Los Angeles Dodgers and Christian Yelich of the Milwaukee Brewers spent April wreaking havoc on National League pitching. Bellinger appears to have regained his form after a sophomore slump in 2018 and was the first month’s best hitter. The 23-year-old currently has the NL Triple Crown with a .431 AVG, 14 HR and 37 RBI. Reigning MVP Yelich is picking up where he left off last year, and owns a share of the homer lead in addition to a .353 AVG and 34 RBI. It’s obviously still early and both of these guys will cool off at some point, but they are as good as it gets in the Senior Circuit right now.
K&K still on the sidelines
Two of this past winter’s most high-profile free agents still remain unsigned as the calendar turns to May. 2015 American League Cy Young winner Dallas Keuchel and 2x Reliever of the Year Craig Kimbrel are still without homes and MLB.com Insider Ken Rosenthal reports that it may be as long as June before either star signs. Both men have different contract desires, as Rosenthal reports that Kimbrel does not want a one-year deal whilst Keuchel is aiming for the short-term. There are plenty of teams that would love the services of either, but it looks as if a signing won’t occur any time soon.
Medical costs soaring in the Bronx
The New York Yankees had enough injuries in the first month of the season to fill an entire hospital ward. Sophomore manager Aaron Boone has had the difficult task of holding his team together with more than half his starting lineup on the disabled list. Miguel Andujar, Dellin Betances, Greg Bird, Clint Frazier, Aaron Hicks, Aaron Judge, Luis Severino and Giancarlo Stanton are all currently laid up. Considering half of the team’s minor league system has seemingly played in the past month, New York has done pretty well and Boone should be commended for his work. But fans in the Bronx will feel much better when all their superstars return.
Boston Red Sox ace Chris Sale is one of the MLB’s most dominant lefties and has been since he became a starter in 2012, but he’s been MIA for the first month of this year. Fans accustomed to the 7x All-Star dazzling batters with his slider would be shocked to see that he’s currently 0-5 with a 6.30 ERA. There’s still every chance that he can turn it around, but the Red Sox and their Nation have not enjoyed their ace struggling so mightily. Sale has taken full responsibility for his failures, but if his team wants to repeat as World Series champions, they’ll need him to regain his form.
Slow start for Harper in Philly
The most high-profile free agent acquisition in recent MLB history hasn’t gotten off to the start that his new team was expecting. 26-year-old Bryce Harper is having a rougher time acclimating to the Philadelphia Phillies than anyone would have thought. Through the first month of what is to be a very long tenure in the City of Brotherly Love, Harper is batting .231 with 6 HR and 20 RBI. He’s far too talented to struggle like this long-term, but considering what the Phillies are paying him, they can’t be too happy.
Vlad Jr. makes long awaited debut
The baseball world had been chomping at the bit for some time to see no.1 prospect Vladimir Guerrero Jr. at the big league level. However, the Toronto Blue Jays waited patiently with the young phenom and allowed him to spend the end of 2018 and the beginning of this season with Triple-A Buffalo. Fans finally got their wish when the Jays made the call last week and brought Guerrero up for his MLB debut on April 26 vs. Oakland. A proud Vlad Sr. looked on as his son ripped a double in the bottom of the ninth for his first career knock. There will surely be many more to come.
Mets endure deGrom TJ scare
Jacob deGrom is currently the best pitcher baseball has to offer and he hasn’t slowed on the heels of his masterful 2018 campaign. However, the Mets and their fans had to endure a brief panic when it looked as if the superstar righty had been claimed by the curse of Tommy John. It turned out to be nothing more than a scare and deGrom only missed one start, but baseball fans in Queens surely thought the sky was falling at the time.
Ichiro retires in grand fashion
Though it happened in March actually and most fans may have forgotten about it by now, it’s still one of best stories to come from baseball in some time. The Seattle Mariners opened the 2019 season vs. the Athletics at Tokyo Dome in Japan’s capital. It was undoubtedly an amazing experience for all players involved, but it stood out for one player especially. 45-year-old Ichiro Suzuki played the series with the Mariners and called it a career after the second game. Not many foreign players in Major League Baseball can say that they played their last game in front of their native country and it’s an honor Ichiro more than earned throughout his 28-year professional career in Japan and North America. An undoubted future Hall of Famer and one of the best hitters of all time, Ichiro walked off an MLB field for the last time to a thunderous ovation from his countrymen. Thanks for the memories, no.51.
deGrom Tommy John Scare Apparently Over For Mets
The team’s golden goose Jacob deGrom, the National League’s reigning Cy Young winner, was scratched from his scheduled start on Saturday against the Cardinals in St. Louis. Manager Mickey Callaway then stated his ace would placed on the 10-day disabled list and undergo an MRI on his right elbow after it was reportedly “barking” after a Friday bullpen session.
However, the Mets have apparently backed down from DEFCON 1, as deGrom threw today in the outfield at New Busch Stadium and told the media afterwards that he felt okay.
“It’s just a little sore,” he said to ESPN. deGrom has been experiencing illness and recent weeks and went on to attribute that to the discomfort in his arm, stating he decided it was better to be safe than sorry.
“I had been sick since Atlanta and kinda had a whole-body soreness. For me when I don’t throw, it seems that things pop up and I wasn’t on a normal routine. I was trying to just get enough in to be able to make my start and I felt a little soreness in my elbow. I decided to say something and talked it over with Mickey and [Mets pitching coach] Dave [Eiland].
Fans across baseball knew exactly what the Mets were getting at when the news broke. When coupled together, “T” and “J” are the two most infamous letters in the game, and it looked like the notorious operation was stalking its most high-profile victim in years.
deGrom has already undergone Tommy John surgery in once before, but that was back in 2010 when he was in the rookie class Appalachian League. Nine years later he’s the best pitcher in baseball, and it would be a horrible shame to see his meteoric momentum halted so abruptly.
It remains to be seen if deGrom will miss a prolonged period of time, or if there is actual damage to his elbow, but Mets fans can let out a sigh of relief and breathe easy, at least for the time being.
Red Sox Call Up Top Prospect Chavis
With two infielders being placed on the DL and desperate for any kind of spark they can get, the Boston Red Sox called up their top prospect Michael Chavis (MLB no. 75) from Triple-A Pawtucket on Friday.
Dustin Pedroia and Eduardo Nunez were both placed on the disabled list this week with knee and back injuries, respectively. And with super utility man Brock Holt out as well with an eye injury, Boston’s infield has become quite depleted in a hurry. Infielder Tzu-Wei Lin was recalled as well as the stumbling Red Sox open up a three game set in Tampa with a Good Friday matchup.
Boston hasn’t yet announced if Chavis will be in the lineup tonight, but the team is evidently hoping that the presence of the 23-year-old can provide some kind of a spark. Boston has struggled considerably so far in the young season and is coming off consecutive embarrassing losses to arch-rival New York. At 6-13, the defending World Series champs are dead last in the AL East.
Chavis, on the other hand, has risen through Boston’s minor league system quickly despite a setback last season. A PED suspension cost him half of 2018 after he was busted for Turinabol, an anabolic-androgenic steroid. He denied knowingly taking any banned substance but played well enough after his return to be promoted from Double-A to Triple-A.
Can Chavis provide a boost for the struggling Sox and help them shake off their World Series hangover?
- American League1 year ago
A Look at the Future: Gleyber Torres
- American League1 year ago
The Hall of Fame Case for Keith Hernandez
- American League1 year ago
Another Glimpse of the Future: Miguel Andujar
- American League1 year ago
The Yankees Do Not Need Gerrit Cole, or Any Other Starter…
- American League2 years ago
White Sox Yoan Moncada To Return, Willy Garcia Out At Least A Month
- American League1 year ago
Anticipation of the Yankees 2018 Quest for Number 28
- American League11 months ago
A Critical Look At Dustin Pedroia, Alex Cora, And Fair-weather Fans
- American League1 year ago
The Indians Get Back To Work Against Division Rival Twins In Puerto Rico